Five-ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Bars are an easy, no-bake recipe for healthy snacking! These bars are vegan and naturally sweetened.
Well, I should have seen this one coming. Since giving dates an inaugural whirl in these almond coconut energy bars, I’ve been brainstorming different flavor combinations to mix up next.
These bars are made with five ingredients (dates, PB, peanuts, unsweetened cocoa powder, and ch-ch-ch-chia seeds) and are made in just a few minutes all thanks to your food processor.
Ultra quick snack-making for the week just so happens to allow you more time on a Saturday afternoon to watch Forensic Files and Google how to become a forensic pathologist.
Is it typical for weird obsessions to blossom in your mid-twenties?
Say yes, please.
One obsession (beyond that one) for me has become podcasts. Do you listen? I have a few different kinds on my Stitcher list depending on my mood. Blog ones get me excited about blog things, inspirational entrepreneurial ones to calm my anxieties when I stress out that I haven’t gotten my career all figured out by now (see: my forensic pathology search history), and I geek out with the ladies of Stuff I Missed in History Class multiple times a week.
My favorites though are true crime ones, which despite my propensity for getting agita about lesser things, don’t bother me one bit. Funny how the mind works.
I do my best podcast listening in the afternoons at work, which happens to be the time I start thinking about my afternoon snack. Lately I’ve been digging low-sodium roasted almonds (which I use in this crunchy dark chocolate almond bark), but these chocolate peanut butter chia bars have cut the line and become my #1.
As is the case with a lot of no-bake bars, these do better when they’ve been stored in the refrigerator, but can hold up several hours outside of the fridge for a few hours. They’ll just be a little softer.
And for the taste? The cocoa powder and peanut butter shines through big time. Any time I can get my chocolate + PB fix in a healthier way than plowing into a Reese’s or four is a snack time win!
Chocolate peanut butter chia bars recipe notes:
- Here (affiliate link) is the link to my favorite, super affordable food processor/blender set that makes quick work of dates, ice, and other ingredients that are tough to process until smooth. I’ve had it for years and it’s still going strong!
- I suggest using a no-stir peanut butter variety in these bars. Even with a lot of stirring, I’m afraid the “natural” varieties would add too much oil.
Other chia bar recipes you may like – all naturally sweetened and vegan:
- Apple Cinnamon Chia Bars
- Cinnamon Pecan Chia Bars
- (Hummingbird) Pineapple Banana Chia Bars
- Date and Chia Trail Mix Bars
Watch these chocolate peanut butter chia bars made in under a minute below.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Bars
- 1 cup pitted whole dates (about 12-13)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp peanut butter, I used creamy [see note]
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- Add all ingredients to food processor and process until the ingredients break down and become a mostly cohesive mixture. You will still have little pieces of peanuts remaining, and the consistency of the mixture should hold together when you press it together.
- Line a rimmed dish with parchment paper and press mixture into it, leaving your desired thickness. I used only about half of an 8" x 8" baking dish as I didn't have a smaller dish available.
- Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before slicing. Store bars in the refrigerator.