Easy oven roasted sweet potatoes make the BEST healthy side dish. Done in forty minutes or less, these sweet potatoes feature a zippy blend of spices and seasonings that pair well with a wide range of main dishes.
If I told you that every time I make these spiced oven roasted sweet potatoes, I inevitably end up eating them cold from the fridge for breakfast the next day, do I need to tell you anything else?
This recipe is a few years old now but in need of a photo refresh. Since I make these at least once a month, it was no sweat to take a few new glamour shots.
With all this volatile weather going on in the U.S. this winter/spring, I’m not really sure when to plant my herb garden. The temperature doesn’t look like it’ll dip too low anymore, but I just don’t trust it. My thumb isn’t exactly ‘green’, so I’m thinking I need to play it super safe when it comes to my garden. 🙂
Thankfully these spiced oven roasted sweet potatoes use kitchen staples and dried spices so they’re ready year-round!
There are lots of different (but complementary) spices here, from easy breezy salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the more bold cumin, coriander, and cinnamon. It’s no secret that I’m not a fan of sweet sweet potatoes (meaning the Thanksgiving-esque sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top), but a little bit of cinnamon in savory oven roasted sweet potatoes?
As for the liquid ingredients, we have olive oil, Worcestershire, liquid smoke, and sriracha. Kind of a mixed bag! The sriracha adds a mild zip (add more if you like things spicy spicy), with the liquid smoke bringing, well, the smokiness. Just one-and-a-half teaspoons adds a wonderful layer of flavor that helps make these sweet potatoes something special.
- One teaspoon of sriracha lends flavor, but doesn’t make these oven roasted sweet potatoes spicy. Add more sriracha if you’d like more zip!
- You’ll want to use your largest rimmed baking sheet here so as not to crowd in the sweet potatoes. The one you see in these pics is 13″ x 18″ aluminum (affiliate link) and never warps in the oven.
Spiced Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp sriracha, or to taste
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Scrub sweet potatoes, peel them, and cut into 1/2"-ish cubes.
- Add potato cubes to a bowl with all ingredients. Stir so that the wet ingredients evenly coat the potatoes. Pour all onto a large baking sheet (or two), taking care to arrange potatoes in a single layer.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until slightly browned around the edges, flipping potatoes halfway through.