This spicy sausage fettuccine is a pasta dish full of delicious Italian flavors of marinara sauce, hot Italian sausage, garlic, basil, and Parmesan cheese. Sausage and spices are added to store-bought tomato sauce a semi-homemade shortcut. Perfect for weeknights!
In order to up my accountability, I’m going to put this out there: my fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants, list-making disorganization has gotten out of hand. Try as I might, I cannot, CANNOT, stick to one method and run with it. I’ve sprinkled my blog ideas, to-dos, and random thoughts across Evernote, iPhone notes, sticky notes, random notebooks, backs of crumpled receipts…if I have a pen in my hand, any surface is fair game.
So, everything gets documented, but good luck, Alyssa, trying to find it again. Ooof. I’ve had to tear apart my apartment looking for a month-old Kroger receipt with a bunch of ingredients and quantities scribbled on the back more times than I’d like to admit. When you’re running out of daylight to take pictures of the would-be blog recipe (and you’re a little bit hungry), sometimes you have to save those coulda shoulda woulda been recipes for another time and whip up something you know by heart. No folded up scraps of paper required. 🙂
This spicy sausage fettuccine with basil and Parmesan is a satisfying pasta dish that gets a ton of flavor from the hot Italian sausage, which means less ingredients for you to add! This meal was in our rotation big time growing up. I remember getting so excited walking into the kitchen and smelling the crumbled sausage browning on the stove top. We never ate a bad crumb, of course, but this pasta was a favorite.
Making homemade marinara sauce is such a treat, but starting from scratch after work is not going to happen unless you like eating at midnight. Umm hangriness starts setting in around 7:30 pm around here. Enter store-bought marinara for the weeknight win! I used a simple roasted garlic and herb variety, but by all means pick your favorite type. Depending on your flavor, you may wish to adjust the garlic and basil up or down depending.
The hot Italian sausage adds a really nice zip to this pasta – enough to where you taste it but not too much that you’re looking around for the fire extinguisher. If you’re reeeeally looking for some spice I’d say add a few extra shakes of crushed red pepper flakes, but the spice from the sausage was good enough for me. 🙂
Spicy Sausage Fettuccine with Basil and Parmesan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- One-half of an onion, chopped
- 3 hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 - 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb. fettuccine (16 oz)
- 6-8 basil leaves chopped
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large pan set over medium heat. Once oil is heated, add onion and saute for 4-5 minutes or until it begins to brown. Remove casing from sausages and add sausage to pan with the oil. Break up sausage into smaller pieces. Let sausage cook until it has browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and garlic to pan with the sausage and stir to combine everything. Reduce heat to medium-low and let sauce heat, stirring occasionally.
- As sauce is heating, bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add a pinch of salt and pasta. Let pasta cook for about 12 minutes, or until it's reached your preferred doneness. Drain pasta and return it to the pot. Pour in sauce and stir to combine. Stir in chopped basil leaves. Serve with Parmesan cheese over top.