Sometimes I go through phases of craving sweets. Sometimes I go through phases of craving savory foods. And then there’s the phase where I wolf down skinny buffalo chicken alfredo pasta cold from the fridge and am 100% not sorry about it.
This is one of those phases.
I have to tell you, I’m proud of myself with this one. No, not because of my super sharp skills to make a plate of pasta disappear, but because I beat a serious food aversion. COTTAGE CHEESE. I didn’t even make a face when I typed it, and that my friends is progress.
Honestly never once was there cottage cheese in my fridge growing up, so I’m thinking this cottage cheese problem was wholly due to nurture (vs. nature). We’re just not fans of curds around here! After all of these years though I decided enough was enough. Once you start wheeling your cart a little faster past that case in the dairy aisle it’s time for an intervention.
After taking my maiden voyage with cottage cheese in this skinny buffalo chicken alfredo pasta, I can wholeheartedly say WHAT was I waiting for?! It lightened up this pasta dish something serious, and was ultra creamy with a really mild flavor. It set the stage peeerfectly for the addition of Parmesan cheese, spices and one of my favorite sauces of all time, Frank’s Red Hot Wings. Give the sauce ingredients a whirl in the food processor, heat, and stir, and you’ve got yourself a pot full of cream-free, butter-free, light and slightly spicy alfredo sauce. Also one that is now curd-free. A win all around. 😉
Because it’s not yet socially acceptable to drink sauce straight up (I think), I love to serve it with pasta and simply seasoned baked chicken strips. You can certainly omit the chicken, or also use up leftover chicken to make this pasta dish even quicker. As for the pasta, fettuccine is my shape of choice here, but any and all would be fab. I’m thinking shells, orecchiette, or any other shape that holds onto sauce well sound great, too.
Creamy, spicy, seriously lightened up comfort food. Music to my ears! Happy weekend, friends! xo
Skinny Buffalo Chicken Alfredo Pasta
- 1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 3/4" thick strips
- 1-2 tsp cajun seasoning (or your preferred seasoning)
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp Frank's Red Hot Wings sauce (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 8 oz. fettuccine (or your preferred pasta)
- Pinch of salt
- For the chicken: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray foil with cooking spray. Place chicken strips on foil and season with cajun seasoning (or your desired seasoning). Cook for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is completely cooked through. Slice cooked chicken strips into pieces and set aside.
- For the sauce: Add milk, cottage cheese, cornstarch, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to a food processor and process until smooth. Pour sauce into a small saucepan set over medium-low heat and stir in Frank's Red Hot Wings sauce and dried basil. Stir so the hot sauce is evenly combined. Heat for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated throughout and sauce has thickened slightly.
- For the pasta: While sauce is heating, add 6 cups of water to a large pot and place over high heat until boiling. Add a bit of salt to boiling water and add fettuccine. Let pasta cook for about 12 minutes for al dente noodles, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta and add it back to the pot. Pour in sauce and add sliced chicken. Stir so that sauce evenly coats chicken and noodles and serve.