On the thirteenth day of Christmas, I give you these Triple Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats. Because what’s a holiday without cramming as much chocolate as possible into your daily eats?
Back in October I shared these Kitchen Sink Cereal Treats and was buzzing about how their nutrition factor was amped up from traditional Rice Krispie treats. I stand behind those words, but with the caveat that there’s a time and a place for everything. Those treats would be a fab snack for oohhh let’s say January 5th, but these babies are a solid December 24th.
Yes, there’s cereal and yes, there are marshmallows, but beyond that? These are a little different than their over-achieving, know-it-all cousins. These treats feature lots and LOTS of chocolate. Unsweetened cocoa powder is mixed in with the melting marshmallows, a portion of the chocolate chips are mixed in with the cereal while others are melted and slathered on top, and chocolate sprinkles finish the look as decoration.
And oh yeah – espresso powder is included in the mix! You won’t feel as if you’re chewing on a crunchy bar of…coffee, but it does enhance all of the chocolate you’ve got going on. And anything that bolsters the flavor of chocolate is a friend indeed.
I’m all about these treats for several different reasons, the first being something that rhymes with ‘fripple shmawklate’. The next being that they slice up beautifully! No crazy crumbs here (except for a few runaway sprinkles). Sliceability (so not a word) is huge because it also means you can modify the number of slices here, no problem.
Cutting the block into eight slices yields some legit-sized treats. The main attraction for your dessert purposes. Twelve slices would free up some room in your bellies for nibbling on other sweets too, and sixteen? Perfect little bites that bring something fresh to the onslaught of cookies on dessert trays this time of year.
I know cookies get all the press this time of year, but I have it on good authority that Mr. Claus requested a little shake up in his usual Christmas Eve cookie binge this year. Just passing the message along… 😉
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate
- Chocolate sprinkles for decoration
- Spray a 9" x 5" loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside. In a saucepan set over low-medium heat, melt butter. Add marshmallows and stir to coat evenly with the melted butter. Stir marshmallows occasionally as they begin to lose their shape and melt. Once marshmallows have just melted completely, stir in cocoa powder and espresso powder until just fully combined.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in cereal. Once cereal is coated evenly by the marshmallow mixture, stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Press mixture into one half of the prepared loaf pan, pressing on the top to ensure treats are dense. Allow to cool for a few minutes before proceeding.
- Once cool, invert the Rice Krispie block onto a plate. Melt remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips and spread evenly over top and sides of Rice Krispie block. Garnish with chocolate sprinkles or whatever other decorations you'd like. Let chocolate cool completely before slicing and serving (may refrigerate Rice Krispie block to speed up the hardening process).
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate. As it can vary due to many factors (brands used, quantities, etc.), we cannot guarantee its accuracy.