This twist on a turkey club sandwich features the traditional club sandwich components but with creamy mashed avocado and hummus in place of the mayonnaise. This stacked sandwich is sure to brighten up your lunchtime!
As an adult I cannot get enough of a fancy sandwich, but I went through a big please-no-sandwiches-in-my-lunch-box phase when I was in elementary school. For a good portion of a year my mom packed a tupperware container of homemade tortellini salad for the main part of my lunch.
My love for tortellini salad still runs deep, but I’ll save that recipe for another post. Today is alllllll about this gussied up and modern turkey club sandwich.
What is a club sandwich?
A club, or “clubhouse” sandwich typically contains six main components: bread, cold cuts (usually chicken or turkey), lettuce, tomato, bacon, and mayonnaise.
Its classic look features three slices of bread, making it one tall, substantial sandwich. Because of this extra heft, it’s popular to find one club sandwich speared with toothpicks and sliced into quarters, yielding four serious business sections.
In my experience two quarters makes a sufficient lunch serving, so one sandwich, as seen in the photo above, yields two meals.
Since plain mayo is rarely something I reach for when making myself a sandwich (chipotle aioli is a totally different story), I took the liberty of replacing it here for two fun and still super creamy substitutions: hummus and mashed avocado.
As for the hummus, your favorite store-bought variety will certainly work, though if your food processor needs a little exercise this roasted garlic hummus is a household favorite. Garlic adds a wonderfully complementary flavor to this relatively basic flavor profile.
If you’re new to the world of roasted garlic, that’s not a typo in the linked hummus recipe. It’s two whole heads (!) and not cloves. Roasting significantly mellows the sharp raw garlic flavor, almost caramelizing it in the process. Highly recommend.
We’re sticking with turkey here for the cold cuts, as well as crispy bacon. A thick beefsteak tomato is my pick to get those hearty sandwich slices.
As for the bread and lettuce, I’m partial to green leaf over iceberg and multigrain bread over white, but that’s just my personal preference. Any kind you like will work.
Recipe steps and helpful hints
While assembling a sandwich definitely doesn’t need to be precise, there are a few tips along the way to make the process easier. And less messy.
First you’ll want to cook your bacon in your preferred manner: oven, stovetop, air fryer, etc. Bacon on the crispy side is my go-to. Next toast three slices of bread, as toasting helps prevent them from becoming soggy from the hummus and avocado.
As for the assembly process, start with a piece of bread spread with hummus. About one tablespoon will do the trick. Next add a layer of lettuce, then two thin-ish tomato slices. Season those with salt and pepper. Add the bacon slices on top, then the turkey.
Then take the second piece of bread and spread both sides of it with mashed avocado. Place that on top of the turkey (it may be easier to spread the second side once it’s already on the sandwich.
Now start the process again: lettuce, tomato, bacon, and turkey. Spread one side of the last slice of bread with hummus to cap off this large and in charge modern turkey club sandwich.
It’s inevitable that a sandwich this large can get a little messy. To help hold things together, you can spear four areas of the sandwich with toothpicks, if you’re slicing into four quarters. You’ll want to cut The sandwich diagonally both ways like you’re making an “X” on the top.
Bacon is the star of a BLT, but avocado joins in with this BLT avocado toast. It has several of the same ingredients as this turkey club sandwich, including multigrain bread, mashed avocado, tomato, and lettuce, but the bacon here is slightly spicy and candied bacon. <– sooo easy to make at home!
Hummus Avocado Turkey Club Sandwich
- 3 slices multigrain bread or preferred type, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 3 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 oz sliced deli turkey
- 4 thin tomato slices
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large lettuce leaves
- 3 tbsp mashed avocado (about half of a small avocado)
- Before assembling sandwich, cook bacon as you like (on stovetop, in oven, in air fryer, etc). Blot with paper towels to remove excess grease.
- Lightly toast three slices of bread. Spread one tablespoon of hummus on one side of a slice of bread. Roughly rip up a large lettuce leaf and arrange it on the hummus. Then add two tomato slices sprinkled with a bit of salt and pepper, 1 1/2 slices of bacon, and 2 ounces of the sliced turkey.
- Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons of mashed avocado onto one side of the second slice of bread, then place it avocado-down on the sandwich. Spread the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of mashed avocado on the other side of the bread.
- Repeat the layering process on the second slice of bread: one large lettuce leaf, two tomato slices, salt and pepper, 1 1/2 slices of bacon, and 2 ounces of the sliced turkey.
- Spread one side of the last slice of bread with remaining 1 tablespoon hummus and place it hummus side-down to cap off the sandwich. Slice the sandwich diagonally into quarters, using toothpicks to help hold each section together.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate. As it can vary due to many factors (brands used, quantities, etc.), we cannot guarantee its accuracy.
P.S. The images and post content here are a total redo the original post. If you’re coming back via Pinterest or a saved link, you might recognize what this recipe originally looked like, below. Same great recipe, just with improved pictures!