Faced with a mountain of leftover Thanksgiving food? Make a leftover Thanksgiving sandwich! This loaded turkey sandwich features gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and even mashed potatoes for a hefty, hearty way to repurpose this traditional holiday fare.
Years ago I ate a Gobbler sandwich from Wawa and it's been stuck in my memory ever since. Stuffing is my #1 favorite Thanksgiving dish, so getting to enjoy it off-holiday in a warm sandwich? That's a yes from me every time.
While a sandwich made with leftover Thanksgiving components isn't anything unique, mine takes inspiration from the Wawa version of my dreams and goes with the option of adding mashed potatoes as a creamy spread for the ultimate post-Thanksgiving turkey-gravy-stuffing-cranberry sandwich.
- Optional: Make a quick garlicky mayonnaise *if* your mashed potatoes aren't very garlicky and you'd like a little extra flavor. If using regular mashed potatoes I mix together mayonnaise with pressed garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste. If starting with something like roasted garlic mashed potatoes, just use regular mayo.
- Mix a few teaspoons of this mayo into your heated mashed potatoes, then spread them over one slice of bread.
- Add lettuce, turkey, and gravy.
- Top with stuffing, then spread cranberry sauce on the other slice of bread. Spicy cranberry sauce, made with a little chipotle pepper in adobo, is especially good here.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Use sturdy bread. This leftover Thanksgiving turkey sandwich is a doozy, so use bread that can hold up well to a hefty filling. I love to use a seedy Italian five grain bread or sourdough loaf.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the mashed potatoes. This helps the mashed potatoes become creamy again and act like more of a spread for the sandwich.
- Heat up (most) foods separately. Heating the mashed potatoes, turkey, gravy, stuffing individually just prior to assembling the sandwich is ideal.
- Don't grill the whole thing. With how stacked this Thanksgiving sandwich is, the filling is likely to fall out and become messy if you try to heat the whole thing and flip it in a pan. Rather lightly toast just the bread (à la Wawa) before assembling if you'd like some crunch.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, I’d love for you to leave a star rating in the recipe card and/or a comment review below!
Leftover Thanksgiving Sandwich
- 2 slices hearty bread
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise or garlicky mayonnaise (see note)
- ¼ cup mashed potatoes heated
- 1 large leaf green leaf lettuce
- 2 slices roasted turkey heated
- 2 Tablespoons prepared turkey gravy heated
- ½ cup prepared stuffing heated
- 2 Tablespoons cranberry sauce
- Heat up mashed potatoes and stir in mayonnaise. Spread evenly onto one slice of bread.
- Top the mashed potato layer with lettuce and sliced turkey. Spread gravy evenly over top of the turkey.
- Evenly arrange the stuffing over top of the turkey.
- Spread cranberry sauce on the other slice of bread, then place it on the stuffing to cap off the sandwich.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate. As it can vary due to many factors (brands used, quantities, etc.), we cannot guarantee its accuracy.Food Safety and Nutrition Disclaimer