So a banana, an apple, and a carrot walk into a bar…
Just kidding! They walked into this take on morning glory bread. 100% whole wheat and seriously tasty, this’ll be calling your name for breakfast.
I’ve made this bread a few times now, and each time I CANNOT stop eating it. I eat it for breakfast, and then I’ll pack a slice for a work snack. Then sometimes I even sneak into the fridge later on for an after dinner nibble. If this bread is in the house, I have breakfast/snack tunnel vision.
This weekend I was reflecting on my breakfast habits over the years (you know you’re a food blogger when…) and realized how crazy cyclical they are. Either I want something new every morning, or I’m perfectly pleased to eat the same. old. thing. every day from now until eternity. Eternity being six or eight months down the road when I’m mid-breakfast prepping and I’m suddenly repulsed by my ex-breakfast BFF and can’t stomach the thought of eating it one more day.
Someday I’ll be able to look at vanilla Greek yogurt, chopped strawberries, and flax cereal again without wanting to run out of the room. Three years and counting…
It’s safe to say though that this bread is going nowhere! It’s tender and moist (thanks coconut oil and banana/apple/carrot!), warmly spiced, and 100% whole wheat. I added unsweetened coconut flakes for a little extra chew factor and walnuts for some crunch, but you can omit one or both if you prefer. And then I couldn’t pass up throwing in chia seeds for good measure, though those sneaky little nutrient bombs are optional too. Whatever makes this morning glory bread your newest A.M. obsession!
Whole Wheat Morning Glory Bread
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 medium apple, peeled and shredded (approx. 3/4 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded (approx. 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped walnut pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan and set aside. Mash banana, and shred apple and carrot so your ingredients are prepped.
- In a bowl, mix together banana, coconut oil, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract until no lumps of brown sugar remain and mixture is smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until flour mixture is just combined. Stir in chia seeds, shredded apple, shredded carrot, coconut flakes, and walnuts, if using, until evenly mixed.
- Spoon mixture into prepared loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until top has set up and a tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in pan before slicing. I like to keep this bread in the refrigerator as I think it stays fresh longer that way, though you can leave at room temperature if you prefer.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate. As it can vary due to many factors (brands used, quantities, etc.), we cannot guarantee its accuracy.