Chocolate banana macaroons are a fun and fruity take on classic coconut macaroons. One ripe banana and a few tablespoons of mini chocolate chips help add the perfect amount of sweetness to these cookies.
The first of undoubtedly many humbling homeowner experiences happened recently. Up until this past weekend, I thought Sherwin-Williams was called Sherman-Williams. Maybe that tells you a little bit about my (not-so) extensive painting experience. Eeesh! From starting out thinking we were just painting the kitchen/dining room, it turned into also painting the living room to the master bedroom to the hallway to the whole house. Trim and all. And maybe the bathroom cabinets (but Brian doesn’t know about that one yet). 😉
Thankfully Brian is the yin to my yang when it comes to tedious projects, and is all about perfecting his spackling technique and researching paint brushes. In the meantime I’m deciding between pure/snow/true/essential/ultra white paint and baking cookies with reckless abandon…specifically chocolate banana macaroons. Using up ingredients from our apartment like flaked coconut and mini chocolate chips makes me feel productive in this whole moving thing. Less to pack!
Macaroons are one of my favorite cookies to make, and they’re my go-to even when I’m not making something sweet for the blog. They’re so easy to make (in just the food processor at that) and they definitely speak to me as a coconut lover. Their chewiness brings with it a satisfying factor that I savor in each bite instead of mindlessly blowing through the whole batch.
These chocolate banana macaroons aren’t those fantastically chic macarons that are blowing up the internet and bakeries all the world around. If you’re me, macarons are elusive confectionary beasts that just DO NOT turn out right at home. If you’re not like me, please share your secrets. Macaroons however…they’re what’s up! Especially when they taste like banana bread. S-i-m-p-l-e, just six ingredients, and not finicky in the slightest. Process, scoop, and bake…that’s it. Ripe bananas better watch out!
Chocolate Banana Macaroons
- 2 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 ripe medium-sized banana
- Whites of one large egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add flaked coconut to the bowl of a food processor. Process until the flakes are in small, fine pieces. Add banana, egg whites, vanilla extract, and salt and process again until all ingredients are well-combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Remove the blade from the food processor and stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Using a 1 1/2" cookie scoop (or a spoon), pack mixture into scoop and scoop cookies, placing evenly-spaced on prepared baking sheet. The macaroons won't spread much at all, so they can be placed relatively close together.
- Bake for 21-24 minutes, or until the bottom edges and outsides of macaroons are golden-brown and macaroons are set.
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate. As it can vary due to many factors (brands used, quantities, etc.), we cannot guarantee its accuracy.