Buffalo chicken meatball subs will be your new comfort food favorite! Ground chicken is mixed with buffalo sauce, breadcrumbs, cheese, and more for a batch of slightly spicy, juicy, and tender buffalo chicken meatballs. Delicious on a sub with provolone cheese!
Meatball subs and I go way back. While I ate them every now and then, things really got heavy when we were moving a few years ago and trying to eat up all of the food from the freezer beforehand. That’s not exactly a hard task when it was filled with delicious, homemade food from mom! And I was especially jazzed when I happened upon a treasure trove of homemade meatballs. Uhhh, dibs.
So for a week I went to work with a homemade meatball parm sub for lunch, and to this day I look back on that week as my own golden era of bringing lunch to work.
Soon though my meatball stash ran out, and meatball subs went back to being an occasional treat.
Not anymore! These buffalo chicken meatball subs are a zippy, flavorful, and easy lunch/dinner recipe to pull together. I might be clearing space in the freezer for a container (or two…) of these meatballs as we speak.
These buffalo chicken meatballs are baked, but juicy and tender! Ground chicken is combined with an egg, panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, buffalo sauce, garlic, and s+p…and that’s it. Pantry/fridge staples for us, especially because we’re big on all things buffalo around here, judging by the fact that this is my sixth buffalo-something recipe to grace the blog.
After all of the meatball ingredients are combined, I used a cookie scoop to easily portion out the meatballs. This helped keep my hands clean and also ensured that the meatballs were uniform in size so that they cooked evenly. The one I used has a two-tablespoon capacity and yielded 15 golf ball-sized meatballs, but you could also use an ice cream scoop that has that spring-action sweeping arm to release the contents.
Once these meatballs are cooked you could really go in any direction you like with them, but I had one thing on my mind – buffalo chicken meatball subs. Pop a few meatballs on a hoagie roll or your bread of choice, drizzle extra buffalo sauce if you like over top, and add some cheese for a wholly satisfying, comfort food-esque sandwich.
To melt the cheese and heat everything up without the roll becoming too crisp in the process, I like to assemble the sub, wrap it in foil, and place in a hot oven (set at 350°F or so) for 5-10 minutes. This way the cheese melts, the meatballs are hot, and the bread stays soft.
Buffalo Chicken Meatball Subs
For the Buffalo Chicken Meatballs:
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
For the Subs:
- 4 hoagie rolls
- Provolone cheese
- Extra buffalo sauce (optional)
To make the meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add all meatball ingredients and mix together until everything is combined evenly.
- Using a spoon or a cookie scoop (the scoop I used has a 2-tbsp capacity), scoop meatballs and place them on the prepared baking sheet, about an inch or so apart from one another.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, or until meatballs are no longer pink and the internal temperature reaches at least 165°F. Let meatballs cool slightly on the baking sheet to reduce the possibility that they'll break apart when handling.
- Cut hoagie rolls in half. Add 3-4 meatballs to each roll and drizzle meatballs with additional buffalo sauce if you like. Add 1-2 slices of cheese over top.
*this post contains affiliate links