These lemon macadamia nut cookies are ultra chewy with a perfect hint of citrus, toasted macadamia nuts, and white chocolate chips.
How about some cookies for your Wednesday?! I know 99% of the time I require a little sweet treat to help propel me through the week. Especially when the temperature has been hovering around 100°F and doesn’t seem to be letting up for the foreseeable future (or at least the ten-day forecast). Naturally this heat wave coincides with a sneaking suspicion that my car A/C isn’t as…cold as it used to be, so extra cookies for me.
These lemon macadamia nut cookies feature flavors I love but seriously don’t bake with enough – lemon, macadamia nuts, and white chocolate. Basically everything going on in this cookie. Lemon zest brings just enough citrusy flavor, while toasting the macadamia nuts enhances their flavor and makes biting into a chunk even more satisfying. I think of macadamia nuts as one of those ✨ fancy ✨ ingredients set aside for special occasions, even though they’re just hanging there in the baking aisle of the supermarket waiting to be bought and baked into something special. Weird!
The cookie base here is my go-to that I also use in my homemade break and bake cookies. It holds its shape without being sticky and is c-h-e-w-y. Just how I like my cookies! If you’re feeling a little more chocolate (okay, a lot more), I modified it to have a deep, rich chocolate base in these chewy chocolate peanut butter chip cookies. A cookie for all occasions!
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest (from about 1 large lemon)
- 1 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup toasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Place macadamia nuts in a single layer on sheet and toast for 10 or so minutes, or until they become fragrant and lightly brown. Remove from sheet and set aside. If making the cookies right away, reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Beat together butter, sugars, egg, vanilla extract, and lemon zest in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix in until just combined.
- Chop toasted macadamia nuts into smaller pieces and add to the batter along with the white chocolate chips. Stir in until evenly dispersed.
- Scoop batter using a cookie scoop or a spoon and place onto ungreased baking sheets about 1 1/2-2" apart from one another. I lightly pressed down on the cookies with the flat bottom of a glass to spread them out a little bit, but that's optional.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Let cookies sit on the baking sheet for a few minutes, and them remove to cool completely on a wire rack.