Cumin cardamom steak kebabs are a versatile grilling recipe made ultra flavorful with an easy marinade. Serve these beef kebabs alongside rice, on top of a salad, or in pitas for a satisfying lunch or dinner.
When it comes to buying sort-of speciality ingredients, I try and think of a few different ways I can use whatever it is before taking the plunge and purchasing. As cooking at home enthusiasts, our kitchen pantry is pretty well stocked with a variety of spices and oils, but there was one spice I put off buying for the longest time – cardamom. I knew it was used in apple pie recipes, but let’s be real. Do the few apple pies I make a year justify the cost?
Fast forward to now and I understand why it’s a welcome addition in all things apple pie (check out my homemade apple pie spice recipe). I ended up happening upon a 50% off spice sale at my local supermarket so I bought ground cardamom then, but in the months since the fall the jar has been sitting in the pantry mostly-full, waiting for the fall to roll around. Until now!
The idea for this recipe came about when I was half-asleep on the couch watching the Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown episode in Oman and jolted awake when they mentioned a beef dish flavored with cumin, cardamom, and garlic. I missed some of the context there (and I’m positive they didn’t cook the beef on a conventional grill), but I took the idea of those spices and ran with it when it came to making these grilled cumin cardamom steak kebabs.
The smoky cumin flavor and bold (kind of citrusy?) taste of cardamom mix so well with garlic and really work for a savory recipe like these grilled steak kebabs.
Nearly all of the recipe time here is inactive. The steak cubes marinate for at least two hours, but you can definitely let them go longer as there isn’t a citrus element here. All that’s left is to thread the beef on skewers and fire up the grill! As the cuts of meat are fairly thin they won’t take too long to cook – just a few minutes per side. We enjoyed these cumin cardamom steak kebabs alongside couscous and salad, but they would be wonderful over a salad or in pita pockets as a sandwich (how I’ll be serving them next)!
- 12″ stainless steel skewers (<– affiliate link)
Grilled Cumin Cardamom Steak Kebabs
- 1 lb sirloin tip steak, cut into 1 1/2" cubes, approximate
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cooking sherry
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- Cut sirloin tip steak into 1 1/2" cubes, and place in a large sealable plastic bag.
- Whisk together all other ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour marinade over the meat in the plastic bag and seal. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours (or longer).
- Place meat onto skewers. Heat grill to medium heat (400-425).
- Place kebabs on the grill over direct heat, cooking for about 3 minutes per side or to your preferred doneness. Remove from grill and serve.