These turkey sliders are boldly flavored with five spice powder and topped with a creamy, spicy chili garlic sauce to make a juicy and lightened-up appetizer or small meal.
Something strange is happening with my resolutions this year. For one, it’s a month in to the new year and I actually remember what they are (sorry 2013 resolutions…whatever you were). I’ve already completed one (self-host – woot woot!), so I’d say that’s an encouraging sign. But instead of my list dwindling, turns out I’m adding to it. Things I should have had on my list come January 1st, but slipped my mind at the time. I’m retroactively resolution-ing.
So despite it being nearly a month into the new year, I resolve to become more creative with my cooking. Staples are wonderful things, of course, but B and I have noticed more often that we feel as if we’ve been pitched head first into a food rut. “What do you feel like for dinner?” is usually met with a long silence, with the eventual “Not sure, what about you?” followed-up with more silence, as well. Snooze-city around here. Well, that needs to change. Starting with these turkey sliders.
These turkey sliders are kicked up a notch. They’re lightened up by using ground turkey, and are boldly spiced with five spice powder (seriously, I’m obsessed with it ever since using it in these almond butter noodles). Combined with a mix of other ingredients, including soy sauce and mustard, these burgers are the furthest thing from dry. I actually made them for my pre-Grammy’s dinner, but these would be a perfect addition to your Super Bowl eats table (for the more traditional among us).
There a lot of things I love about these turkey sliders, but the accompanying sauce may be one of my favorites. Light mayonnaise is thinned out (and spiced up) by chili garlic sauce for an easy and ultra flavorful accompaniment. Don’t blame me if you begin wanting to slather it on everything!
The pictures in this five spice turkey sliders post were updated in January 2017. The recipe remains the same. 🙂
Five Spice Turkey Sliders with Creamy Chili Garlic Sauce
For the Sliders:
- 1 20-oz package ground turkey
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 3/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup mustard, any kind
- 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 10 slider buns
For the Sauce:
- 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a wire rack on top of a baking pan. Spray rack with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix ground turkey with all slider ingredients (except buns!) until mixed thoroughly.
- Form patties of desired size and place on wire rack. I made 10 patties about 1" thick.
- Bake for 20 minutes (for one-inch thick sliders, adjust depending upon your patties), or until internal temperature reaches 165°F and juices run clear when top of sliders are pressed. Remove from oven.
- Mix sauce ingredients together in small bowl.
- Place sliders on buns and drizzle creamy chili garlic sauce on top.