This boozy mocha syrup is a rich, flavorful take on a favorite! An easy homemade chocolate syrup jazzed up with espresso powder and coffee liqueur.
You know that saying ‘when it rains, it pours’? I bet you do. That’s been the saying of the
week month err, months (!) around here. Work is on the crazier side again, which was kind of expected but oof. We (my accounting compadres and I) had about ten minutes to high five ourselves for surviving year end before the auditors rolled in to ask us a million and one questions about the time period we just want to push out of our memories. Of course, this is probably my penance for actually being an auditor earlier in my career, but still.
On a related note, this stress relief tea has been a godsend. I’m not convinced it actually reduces my stress (you’d probably need an Rx for that kind of tea…) but I’m obsessed with the smell and I’ll totally take a moderately believable placebo effect.
Other than work and the usual culprits on the stress front, our apartment has picked up a nasty habit of springing a leak with each rainstorm we have. Turns out Nashville rains a lot in the springtime. 😕
And OH YEAH, we’re in the market to buy a house. Feast or famine seems to be our motto! Two rooms + minimal storage + two humans + one dog is kind of/sort of getting old. Imagine that!
Something about my personality you should know is that I usually freak out when I decide to do something new. Because I don’t yet know every little nugget of information about that something new. Because I haven’t done it yet! I’m fully aware there’s a chicken or the egg situation going on there, but whoa is that mindset hard to break.
I don’t know how I’d expect to be a home buying expert without ever having bought a home, but man oh man do I wish I was one. In the meantime, I’ll google my heart out and drown my real estate newbie fears with this boozy mocha syrup. Join me?
If you’ve never made homemade chocolate syrup before, it’s surprisingly simple to do. Your ingredients come to a simmer while you whisk, you let the syrup thicken to your heart’s content, and then you try to not eat the whole batch while it cools. That’s it! In this boozy mocha syrup, I added instant espresso powder for a deeper, rich flavor and added Kahlua for a fun twist. Coffee + coffee flavored liqueur = yes, please. Because the Kahlua adds some sweetness, I also decreased the amount of sugar and found it tasted just fine.
Boozy Mocha Syrup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp instant espresso powder
- 2 tbsp Kahlua, or preferred coffee liqueur
- In a small saucepan set over low-medium heat, add water, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, and espresso powder. Whisk to combine so that all ingredients dissolve and are smooth. Allow mixture to come to a simmer, whisking frequently.
- Once mixture begins to simmer, add Kahlua (or preferred coffee liqueur) and continue to simmer and thicken for 2-4 minutes, still whisking frequently.
- Once mocha syrup is to your preferred thickness, remove from heat and pour into a heat-safe container to cool to room temperature. Store syrup in the refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.